So you have an ice dam....
It's not just because of your gutters
We've had several calls this season of Ice Dams causing extreme water damage in attics. So now what?
The main think to understand is that the cause of your ice dam is an improperly insulated attic. If heat is escaping into your attic, it's causing the snow closest to your roof to melt, and the snow on top to refreeze it. That will cause ice to form, and as we all know, ice EXPANDS. That means that any little crack can become a bigger crack once ice is introduced.
The solution to preventing ice dams is to make sure that your roof is properly insulated so that it doesn't cause the snow to melt from the inside out. You can also ventilate your attic by opening up any vents, and having the outside air circulate. Keeping your attic cool is important. Putting rock salt in your gutters can also help. If you're worried about your flower beds or lawn, putting the rock salt in pantyhose is beneficial.
So how do you get rid of an ice dam? That's not so easy, but it's possible. The first thing we recommend is calling in the professionals. It's can be dangerous to get on a roof that is covered in ice. A professional roofing company can come out and use their skills to remove that ice, while we come in and help you mitigate the damage on the inside.
We know it's a stressful situation, and we're Here To Help®, so give us a call and we can help you get it taken care of fast.
Basement Floods in Spring
One simple crack can cause a lot of damage
Springtime is coming up fast! That means that the ground is about to unthaw and all of that moisture that is surrounding your home is about to become a real problem if you have a crack in your foundation.
Wet and musty basements don't have to be a problem for you. Call us today and we can come in and dry it out and make sure you don't have to suffer this summer with a stinky moldy basement!
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello can come in and find the source of water, and help you seal it off. Then we will dry everything out and make sure you're safe from future mold growth. Keeping your family safe and healthy is the primary goal!
Call us today, and we'll be there within two hours.
Water your Christmas tree!
Our tree burned down in 9 minutes!
It only takes 10 minutes for an electrical spark to turn into a Christmas tree fire and devastate an entire room. That's less than than it typically takes for the fire department to arrive to your home and start putting out a fire. So here are some tips for having a live tree in your home.
1. Make sure to check every day that the tree stand is full of water. If it dries out, the base of the tree will harden and wont absorb enough water for the tree to stay health. Water the tree every day.
2. Keep all candles away from the tree. Candles are the number one cause of holiday fires, not trees, but having a live tree in your home increases the chances of a fire spreading quickly.
3. Keep the tree away from fireplaces and heat sources. It looks beautiful to have your tree next to the fireplace, but it's also the most dangerous. Sparks can jump. The tree is safer if it's more than 10 feet away.
4. Check your lights every year to make sure the wires haven't been broken or chewed through.
5. Remember that any cloth around the tree will catch fire just as fast as the tree, so try not to put it near curtains or blankets.
6. Always have a full sized fire extinguisher and working smoke detectors, so you can stop the fire before it gets out of control.
If you follow these steps, you're setting yourself up for a very merry Christmas!
Shed Fire in Island Park
What we arrived to find
Recently, we got a call to clean up a fire in Island Park. A gentlemen who did woodworking lost his shed to a very hot, very fast fire, but was able to stop it from spreading into the surrounding forest.
SERVPRO of Blackfoot & Pocatello was able to get to the fire on the same day that it was cleared by the Fire Inspector, and we had it demoed and completely cleaned up in just three days! It's a record for our team. It was easy getting the job done with a homeowner who was communicative, and also trusted that we know what was best for safety and clean up.
We know it's not easy to lose your belongings in a fire. It's devastating. But SERVPRO of Blackfoot & Pocatello is here for you every step of the way.
We want to thank the family in Island Park for allowing us to share pictures of their loss.
How do we deal with a total fire loss?
There use to be a shed in the middle of this picture.
One of the questions we get is "What do you do if the house isn't restorable?"
That's an excellent question! We do demolition too. Our highly trained crew is able to help you obtain everything that is salvageable, we will help you clean up anything that has smoke and soot damage, and we will help you document everything that was lost.
We do test all necessary materials for lead and asbestos removal, since you cannot demo a house that is still in need of abatement. If the lead and asbestos tests are positive, we will properly remove all material before we proceed.
Then we will demo and remove all debris appropriately, and make sure there is nothing left for you to do but start rebuilding.
We know losing your home, business, or property to a fire is devastating. SERVPRO of Blackfoot & Pocatello is the company that will show up and help you step by step to make sure that you can start rebuilding quickly.
Saving people is our business, too.
Our SERVPRO Bull fighters
SERVPRO of Blackfoot & Pocatello had the honor of being a sponsor for the GEM State PRCA Pro Rodeo this year. Our PRCA rodeo was voted the best small rodeo in the nation! We couldn't resist being part of the group helping put it on. But what event would we sponsor?
For me, the choice was easy. Who's the person at the rodeo that is there to make sure that a disaster doesn't happen? Who are the ones to handle the messes and make it like it never even happened? The BULL FIGHTERS! That's why we decided to sponsor them this year. We'd like to think we're the bull fighters of restoration, and your disaster is the bull. We can't stop the initial hang up, but we can make sure it doesn't get worse and we can make things easier to get back on your feet.
It was a natural choice! So let me introduce the SERVPRO Bull Fighters!
Prep Your Home For Fall!
Clean out those gutters!
It's back to school time, and you could feel the crisp morning air today. Don’t wait for the rain or snow to come before you start your preparations. It’s not winter just yet, but with cooler weather upon us, you may want to make sure your home is sealed up tight and ready.
1. Check your home for leaks in your window seals or roof. If your home’s eaves have stains, that can indicate a leak. If you find any stains, call a roof contractor to make any repairs before winter.
2. Ensure the water drains away from the home and clean out those gutters. If your area experiences snow, any back-up of gutters may result in ice damming and lead to water damage.
3. Before winter arrives, shut off all outside water faucets or garden hose connections, then drain hoses and store them in the garage.
4. Clean overgrown vegetation and trim dead branches from trees that are close to your home. Also give your lawn one last cut before cleaning and storing your lawn mower. Apply a fertilizer and pre-emergent to your lawn to prevent winter damage and from weeds germinating underground.
5. Clean out your grill and firepit and make sure to keep propane outside. Cover up or store any outdoor furniture, so it’s out of the elements safe from wind-storms, and stays nice for next year.
6. If you have a HVAC service contract, have them stop by. Otherwise, replace filters and install covers on the AC condensing units on the outside of the home.
7. Call a professional to check your fireplace and chimney – especially if you plan to use it during the winter. Nothing is worse than smoking up your home when the weather is cold because your fireplace flue wasn’t cleaned. If you use a wood burning fireplace, be sure to dispose of the ashes properly using a fireproof metal bucket.
8. Make sure everything you’ll need before winter is in good working order. If your area gets snow, test your snowblower and have it serviced. Ensure your outdoor activated night lights or security system components are all operating correctly. Stock up on Ice Melt and make sure you know where your shovel is.
9. Repair cracks in driveways, walkways, and steps. Fixing these issues prevents water from getting into the cracks, freezing, and expanding which can turn the small cracks into big cracks.
10. While you’re making fall preparations, we encourage you to plan ahead for winter too. We'll get to that soon!
Preventing Water Damage While On Vacation
It's not a pretty sight to return to.
It's a nightmare scenario... coming home from vacation to discover your house is flooded from water damage. This scenario is all too common for homeowners, in fact, the Insurance Institute reports that water damage claims are the second most common claim. It's a disastrous problem. Can anything be done to prevent such a disaster? Here are 3 steps to prevent water damage while on vacation.
- Check Your Home | Before you leave, go and inspect areas where leaks could occur. Pipes in the kitchen and bathroom are especially important. Make sure there are no cracks or small leaks in the pipes. Check to make sure all pipes are secure.
- Clear Gutters & Downspouts | Clear away any blockages that could allow water to rest. Resting water in your gutter near your roof could cause water to leak through the roof.
- Shut Off Water Valve | When in doubt, turn your water valve off. This will prevent water from circulating in your pipes. If you live in an area with freezing temperatures, clear the pipes after you turn the water off to prevent the pipes from bursting.
A little preparation goes a long way in preventing a big expensive disaster. Nobody wants to return home from vacation to deal with a water damage.
Why You Need A SERVPRO ERP
ERP Tags that help you know what to do
A no-cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It takes just a short time to complete the profile but could save long hours of time and effort if ever needed.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
Having an immediate plan of action can help minimize the downtime to your business in an emergency.
Establishes your local SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and is close by.
Why Water Damage Needs To Be Cleaned Immediately
Cleaning it up doesn't have to be difficult.
When flooding and other water disasters affect your home and family, you don't want to wait several hours for regular business hours. You need solutions immediately. SERVPRO water damage mitigation professionals offer 24-hour emergency response services. This means that if a pipe bursts on a holiday, technicians are available to respond. If heavy storm damages leave your home exposed to flooding, a fast response could prevent further harm.
You Can't Wait a Single Day
The first hours after your home is affected by water damage, many things begin to happen.
- Furniture swells and breaks down.
- Metal items tarnish and rust.
- Fabric and paper items become stained.
- Mold or mildew takes hold.
- Drywall weakens and swells.
An immediate response puts the progression of damage on hold while a corrective course of action is put into place.
It's Expensive To Delay
Many situations requiring cleaning and restoration must be addressed immediately. This is because water damage takes place within minutes. Within a short 60-second period, walls, floors, and upholstery absorb water. Finishes on tables and chairs begin to bleed. Cherished photographs start to warp and discolor. If you have to wait more than a 24-hour period for professionals to arrive, the damage becomes much harder to address.
If you have to wait just two days for services, mold may begin to spread. Important framing may warp. Metal fixtures begin to corrode. Paint blisters and wood flooring swells. As damage increases, the efforts and cost of restoring your home increase rapidly. In some cases, the structural safety of your home could be affected.
What a Quick Response Looks Like
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello is always open, so technicians are ready to respond within a single hour. Before four hours pass, professionals will be at your home. Within eight hours, a plan of action will be in place, and you will be well on your way to getting back on track. A fast response to flooding is crucial; take advantage of 24-hour availability for the protection of your home. Call us today (208) 242-3819