Recent Fire Damage Posts

Electrical Fire Safety Tips

5/14/2018 (Permalink)

A recent report from the U.S. Fire Administration stated that home electrical fires claim the lives of around 280 Americans each year and can injure over 1,000.

Electrical fires occur most during the winter months due to the increased time spent indoors.  With increased time inside the circuits and electrical cords can become overloaded and also increases the use of lighting, heating and appliances.

Many electrical fires can be avoided if basic safety precautions are taken.  Please read the following safety tips:

  • Routinely check your electrical appliance.
  • Replace old wires.
  • Replace electrical tools or appliance if it overheats, shorts out, causes even small electric shocks, or gives off smoke or sparks.
  • Use electrical extension cords wisely; never overload extension cords or wall sockets. 

Do's and Do Not's of a grease fire.

5/11/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Do's and Do Not's of a grease fire. One of our customers house during the reconstruction stages after a house fire.

Sometimes cooking won’t goes as planned and you could have accidently started a grease fire in your kitchen. Here are a few things you can do if you one starts in your home:

1. Turn off the source of heat, meaning turn off the burner as soon as possible.
2. Cover the fire with another pot, metal lid, or cookie sheet. If you do not have another pot or lid, try putting baking soda or salt on top.   Doing this will suffocate the fire because it will not have as much oxygen reaching it.
4. If you feel unsafe, go outside to a safe location and call 911 or help.

Below are a few DO NOT’s while attending to a grease fire:

1. Use water or any fabrics to put out a grease fire. 
2. Use baking powder.  Might look the same as baking soda but the chemical make up is very different.
3. Moving the pot that’s on fire.

We know your home will be an instinct to save.  However, you and your family’s safety are the number one priority. Call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello for assistance.

Smoke Damage in Ducting System

4/16/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Smoke Damage in Ducting System SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello is here to help in any emergency.

SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello has worked on commercial buildings and personal homes when it comes to fire damage.

Getting the smell of smoke out of any building regardless of the cause (for example grease fire) can be extremely challenging. It can require wide remediation to parts of the building that doesn’t seem to have any damage from the fire itself.  However, in many causes a fire can cause smoke damage in the ducting of the building.

Once smoke permeates certain materials, getting the smell out permanently is impossible.  Knowing the difference between what can be cleaned and what cannot be cleaned comes with training and experience and will save our clients thousands of dollars.  SERVPRO invests a lot of time and money to ensure you have the best of both.  If you had smoke damage to your commercial building or personal home, SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello is here to help.

SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello Smoke and Soot clean up

3/27/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello Smoke and Soot clean up This was a bedroom that had fire and soot damage after the home had caught on fire from a candle.

Smoke and soot are both very aggressive and can seep into various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a plan of action.  

Smoke and soot facts:

  • Hot smoke travels to cooler areas and upper levels of a home or building.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
  • The type of smoke may significantly affect your plan of action.

Different Types of Smoke

There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello will need to test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Please see below for some additional information regarding smoke and residue:

  • Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
  • Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
  • Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire. Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. 

Our Fire Damage Restoration Services

As you now know each fire and smoke damage disaster are unique. With this being said, each will require a unique solution to tailor the situation. Here at SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello we have the equipment, experience, and knowledge to restore your home or building. We will always treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.

Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – 208.242.3819

Did you know there are different kinds of smoke?

2/20/2018 (Permalink)

Once we know what caused the fire we can start to decide on what equipment and cleaning materials to use in the effective areas. The different types of smoke are below:

Wet Smoke happens when rubber and/or plastic burn. These types of fires burn at a lower temperature than other types of fires. Since the plastic/rubber burned it will leave behind an overpowering odor and will leave behind a pasty residue.

Dry Smoke occurs when papers and wood are burning. Paper and wood burn very quickly and at a high temperature. These types of fire will cause a lot of damage to the ceilings and even into attics.

Soot smoke this type is when there is a malfunction with the furnace and HVAC system. When this happens, it will put smoke throughout the home through vents. Before cleaning and repairs can happen, the furnace will need to be replaced or repaired. Then the vents in your home can be cleaned so that left over smoke does not continue to go through your home.

When you have fire and/or smoke damage in your home don’t worry about what kind of smoke is in your home, SERVPRO of Blackfoot/pocatello can do that for you and repair the damages. We understand how stressful any type of disaster is.  Let us help you repair it.  Call us today at 208.242.3819

Fire Safety

2/5/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Fire Safety Parts of a roof being replaced after a home fire.

Many of us know our fire safety 101 in our homes. We know not to leave an open flame such as, a candle or gas stove stop unattended. Even though we may feel comfortable with our knowledge of fire safety here are a few tips and reminders:

  • Have a fire extinguisher in your home. Fire extinguishers play a crucial role in protecting your home during the very early stages of fire.
  • Avoid overloading your outlets or outlet extenders. They can easily over heat if they are being over used.  Check on your outlets as often as you can.  Make sure to replace any that may be getting worn out or old.
  • When doing laundry, remember to empty lint tray from dryer on every use. When the lint is not cleaned it can cause the dryer to heat to a higher temperature. Therefore, the machine will have to work harder and also work at a lower efficiently.
  • Make sure space heaters are at least 2-3 feet away from furniture, window treatments, bedding, clothing, rugs, and other combustibles. These items can cause a risk of fire if they come in contact with the unit.
  • Check to see if smoke alarms are working every month and replace batteries twice a year. 

Tips for Heating your Garage

1/10/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Tips for Heating your Garage Heater inside our owner's garage.

During the cold months here in Idaho, no one likes to walk out of the comfort of their warm home and into a cold garage. Last winter, our owner Tyler installed a mounted gas heater in his personal home (many other home owners and/or business owners have used space heaters as another option).  The heather has made the space much more enjoyable to be in while working or just simply getting into your car. Even though heaters have many pros, there are a few cons; At times you can become anxious thinking the heater could catch fire.

Here are a few tips when having a space heater in your space:

  • Do not leave space heaters unattended. If you are not going to be home or going to bed turn off the heater.
  • Make sure the heater is in a proper area. Area that is staple and no chance of falling over.
  • Be sure to check it surrounding areas, check for water or other close items that could cause a problem.