It's Probably Not Black Mold
We get calls frequently from customers that claim to have black mold growing in their homes, asking us what it takes to treat it. While we are always happy to mitigate any mold issue in your home, the truth is, it's probably not Stachybotrys chartarum, which is the scientific name of black mold. There has also been significant amounts of debate on the toxicity of mold in general.
Logic can tell us that breathing in fungus is probably not good for our lungs, but it's not something that has to scare you. Studies have shown that most mold is irritating but not as dangerous as the media wants you to believe. So what does that mean for your home? It's still very important to clean up fungus in your home, because irritation and allergies can be harmful, but let's break down what you're looking at.
It’s important to figure out if you’re dealing with mold or mildew, and it's pretty easy to differentiate between the two. Mildew usually looks white or gray and dry or powdery. It always appears flat. Mold, on the other hand, usually looks slimy or fuzzy and is raised and can be green, red, blue, or black, typically the more colorful the more health effects. Mold also stains walls and furniture where mildew can be wiped off.
The major difference is that mildew can typically be cleaned with household products, but mold burrows deep into your structure and needs to be removed and properly cleaned so that it doesn't return. That's where SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello can step in. We will help you determine if you're dealing with mold or mildew, and have the testing to see what type it is. We can mitigate the problem and remove the moisture causing the growth, and we have products that not only clean and sanitize, but they also prevent it from growing back.
Call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello at (208) 242-3819 to schedule an estimate to figure out exactly what you're dealing with.