When Pipes Burst, Share the Cleanup With Professionals
Water damage is a problem that bothers many property owners across the United States. With this in mind, you need to know how to respond before you're facing a broken pipe and the resulting flooding. One of the most important things to understand is that most of the burst pipe cleanup and repairs should be handled by professionals.
What Can You Do?
There are some steps you can take to reduce further damage while you're waiting for water damage cleanup and repair professionals.
4 Steps To Reduce Further Damage After Bursting Pipes
- Turn off the water, probably at the building's main water shutoff
- Shut off the electricity. Water and electricity are a dangerous combination.
- Remove as much water as you can with mops, towels, and a wet/dry vacuum.
- Open windows and doors to create airflow that removes humidity from the air.
Quick action is one of the most effective ways to prevent lasting and/or secondary damage. After completing these assignments, the rest of the work should be left to professionals.
What Should Professionals Do?
Why is it so important to let Blackfoot, ID, water restoration companies handle pipe burst cleanup and repairs? If you have a tight budget, this may be a more cost-effective approach. However, there are several reasons not to take this route:
- Floodwater, from a pipe or other source, could carry sewage, chemicals, and other contaminants. A trained sewer cleanup company has the equipment and training to deal with black water.
- Moisture often makes its way into the walls, under the carpets, and into other unseen areas. Professionals know the signs that indicate potential mold growth and are prepared to prevent it.
- A burst pipe can quickly shut down your business, and you'll have plenty to do trying to get your daily operations up and running again.
Ultimately, trying to clean up flooding could end up causing further damage and increasing the recovery costs.
When Should You Call a Restoration Company?
In addition to burst pipe cleanup services, contact professionals when you see that water has caused wall or floor damage. If you suspect mildew, and if you want to prevent mold growth, give a restoration company a call for thorough, effective results.