Preventing Frozen Pipes during the Winter
We believe that no one can be too prepared. Being prepared can help you avoid expensive issues of frozen pipes.
Before the onset of cold weather, prevent freezing of these water supply lines and pipes by following these recommendations:
- Drain water from swimming pool and sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer's or installer's directions.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas.
- Consider installing specific products made to insulate water pipes like a "pipe sleeve" or installing UL-listed "heat tape," "heat cable," or similar materials on exposed water pipes. Newspaper can provide some degree of insulation and protection to exposed pipes – even ¼” of newspaper can provide significant protection in areas that usually do not have frequent or prolonged temperatures below freezing.
During Cold Weather, Take Preventative Action
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
To Thaw Frozen Pipes
- If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Likely places for frozen pipes include against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
- Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
- Consider relocating exposed pipes to provide increased protection from freezing.
- Pipes can be relocated by a professional if the home is remodeled.
- Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
- For more information, please contact a licensed plumber or building professional.
When a Water Disaster Strikes call SERVPRO
Insulation being taken out of the home.
What’s worse than a water main break in your basement? A water main break in your attic! This home was left in ruin after a frozen pipe in the attic burst, causing thousands of gallons of water to flood the entire home. SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello was called to clean up the aftermath!
You won’t want to miss these before and after photos http://www.SERVPROblackfootpocatello.com/before-after-photos
If you find yourself in this situation here’s what to expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Here are standard questions asked:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
Your nose can detect MOLD!
Here is one of our team members in full gear while removing and cleaning mold.
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello has held a Continuing Education Class for Realtors on Mold. SERVPRO offers these Continuing Ed classes to both Insurance and Realtor Professionals Free of Charge. Realtors from Shelley, Blackfoot, Pocatello and surrounding areas gain valuable knowledge on the factors, dangers and remedies for mold. SERVPRO stresses that first it is important to remove the moisture source, make sure the area is entirely dry and afterwards a in-depth cleaning is in order. SERVPRO also warns of the importance of wearing a mask that can filter the fine particles and gas as well as other proper protective equipment. We here at SERVPRO explain the biggest indicator of mold is your nose since mold can grow anywhere there is moisture and leaves a bad smell.
Here are some suggestions homeowners can do to prevent mold from getting out of hand included keeping crawlspace/attics, and storage areas vents open year-round and making sure attics have proper ventilation. Since airflow is extremely important, we also suggest making sure dryer vents are properly attached and that the air flows to the outside of the house, not under it.
What you need to know about Storm Damage?
No matter where you leave you might experience smaller storms with minimal damage to your building. Whenever there is a storm it’s always good to have a professional on your side to asses and rebuild what was damaged.
Wind Damage- When a storm hits your home and/or commercial building most likely wind will be involved. Winds can cause roof damages, fallen trees, and broken windows. A professional should be in a place to offer solutions to any wind damages sustained to your home.
Ground Water- During a storm the ground loose, its ability to drain all the water. When this happens dirt and soil become soft and start to float along with the water. When storm water sits, it starts carry debris and become a health concern due to the diseases it can carry. For faster drainage, call a professional. Professionals can use a pump to remove flood water from your house and/or commercial building. Also, it is important to consider a company that specializes in clean water restoration.
Hail Damage- Whenever there is a rainy disaster it can also be in the back our minds that hail will be present. Hail can cause serve damage to roofs, siding, stucco, windows, and screens for windows and sliding doors. With these types of damages, you will need to go through your insurance company to see what will be covered.
When it comes to any storm damage keep SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello in your mind. Our crew and office staff our here to help you walk through your damages and it will be “Like it never even happened.”
Does your Blackfoot/Pocatello home have a Mold Problem?
Example of mold found in a personal home.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a false statement. Think about the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our training, equipment, and knowledge to remediate your mold issue.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –(208)242-3819
Commercial Property Water Damage
Business owners usually think their commercial property will be damaged by a major storm coming through their area. However, many forget that there are other risks out there. List below are common reason for flooding in a commercial property:
1. Malfunctioning sprinkler systems
Some older office and retail buildings still have outdated sprinkler systems that work in conjunction with fire protection systems. While such sprinklers can come in handy during a fire emergency, they can also cause commercial flood damage if they are faulty or in need of replacement. This could easily damage inventory and business assets.
2. Damaged appliances and equipment
This cause of commercial flood damage is more common in restaurants and catering facilities, as well as any business that has appliances and equipment that make use of water. If the appliance fails and sends water across your building, especially during late hours when no one is around, you may come back to work and face a water emergency.
3. Broken pipes and plumbing
Just like in a residence, if the plumbing system in your workplace fails water damage could be the result.
4. Backed up sewer lines
This is another cause of commercial water damage that often catches business owners by surprise. Should the sewer line to your building back up or become damaged, realize the potential dangers of contaminated Black Water which can cause health effects and ruin products and office furnishings.
If your business has suffered commercial water damage, SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello will help your business back up on its feet... Call us 24/7 at (208)-242-3819.
Restoring Commercial Property after a Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at can lead to commercial properties numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
When a Storm or Flood hits, SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Eastern North Carolina, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 208.242.3819
Emergency Readiness Program for Commercial Business
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello believes every business should have an Emergency Readiness Program, also known as an ERP. ERP’s allow SERVPRO to help both commercial and residential properties in case of any time of emergency. An ERP allows you to minimize business interruptions by having an action plan ready to go. Here at SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello we have been trained to help you with the first few steps. Such as, turning off the main water and gas lines and turning off the electrical panels. Having an ERP doesn’t cost your business a time, it is there to get your business back on track. This approach is a great investment of your time and is designed specifically with the owner and customer in mind. If you or someone you know would like to have an ERP done, please don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello today at 208.242.3819
Follow Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello if you suspect mold in your home or business.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 208.242.3819