If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (208) 242-3819

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Baseboard Heater Fires

1/7/2022 (Permalink)

Fire caused by baseboard heater This apartment caught fire due to a mattress being placed too close to a baseboard heater.

There are many things that can cause a house fire, but in the winter months, there are several high risk factors that need to be addressed to keep your home and your family safe during these cold winter months.

Baseboard heaters have been used for many decades now to heat homes, and aside from the cost of electricity, they're pretty good at what they do.  The newer models have been designed well, and their heating elements are encased well, so that they don't post a high risk of fire.  However, all heating elements, and the older baseboard heaters can do some real damage to a home if improperly used.

So why is it important to keep a clearing?  Baseboard heaters that work with an electric coil get very hot.  A hanging curtain, stuffed animal, or sock that might carelessly be left against one is a quick fire hazard.  Then some heaters are installed UNDER electrical sockets, and that poses a risk of those electrical wires melting and starting an electrical fire of their own.

So when you stay warm this month, make sure you keep a nice distance between anything and your baseboard heaters.  Pretend they're an open flame, and treat them as such.

And if you do happen to have a fire, don't hesitate to call us at SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello, and we can assist you in cleaning it up. 208.242.3819

Other News

View Recent Posts