Archived Mold Remediation Blog Posts
Your nose can detect MOLD!
Here is one of our team members in full gear while removing and cleaning mold.
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello has held a Continuing Education Class for Realtors on Mold. SERVPRO offers these Continuing Ed classes to both Insurance and Realtor Professionals Free of Charge. Realtors from Shelley, Blackfoot, Pocatello and surrounding areas gain valuable knowledge on the factors, dangers and remedies for mold. SERVPRO stresses that first it is important to remove the moisture source, make sure the area is entirely dry and afterwards a in-depth cleaning is in order. SERVPRO also warns of the importance of wearing a mask that can filter the fine particles and gas as well as other proper protective equipment. We here at SERVPRO explain the biggest indicator of mold is your nose since mold can grow anywhere there is moisture and leaves a bad smell.
Here are some suggestions homeowners can do to prevent mold from getting out of hand included keeping crawlspace/attics, and storage areas vents open year-round and making sure attics have proper ventilation. Since airflow is extremely important, we also suggest making sure dryer vents are properly attached and that the air flows to the outside of the house, not under it.
Does your Blackfoot/Pocatello home have a Mold Problem?
Example of mold found in a personal home.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a false statement. Think about the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our training, equipment, and knowledge to remediate your mold issue.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –(208)242-3819
Follow Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello if you suspect mold in your home or business.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 208.242.3819
Tips on Mold Growth
When spring has arrived so has the rainy season. Rain can bring the opportunity for mold growth to present itself in your home. Due to this, we suggest that you call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello at the first sight of any moisture or growth. If you feel that you have discovered mold in your home or office, we are here to help.
Mold and fungal spores occur naturally outdoors, where fungi are the earth’s recyclers. Indoor, mold needs moisture to grow. With this being said it can cause many problems when water damage, or humidity, or dampness is present.
Common ways for excessive moisture that can lead to mold can include:
- Damp crawl spaces
- Flooding from surface water (storms, flooded streets, etc.)
- Roof leaks
- Leaking pipes
- Sewer back ups
How to prevent mold growth:
- Control excessive moisture and condensation
- Keeping susceptible areas in your home clean and dry
In the case of leaking pipes or a flood, standing water needs to be taken care of immediately. When materials are wet they should be clean, removed, replaced or dried out. Items that have been wet for 48 hours or more have a bigger chance to grow mold and need to be thrown away. In any instance where you may have mold called SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello at 208.242.3819
When is mold really mold?
Unseen mold behind a wall in our customers home
We often get calls from clients that think they have mold in their homes, asking us for an estimate to remediate or clean the area. In some cases, it may not necessary, because, what the home owner is actually seeing is either, remains of insects from getting in your home or wear and tear stains.
It looks just like mold but it's not. How can you tell?
Try rubbing the surface with your finger to determine if the spot is hard and/or soft and dusty. If it's hard, it's probably not mold.... If you are still not certain, give us call for some advice on what to do.
There's no sense spending money if you do not have to...
We are here to help you! Call SERVPRO of Blackfoot/Pocatello at (208) 242-3819